Monday, October 5, 2009

I have a house of sickies

Our family has dodged sickness for quite some time. We were long overdue for serious illness. Brad was the first one to get sick last Tuesday. He came home from the babysitter feeling crummy. That night he had really high fevers that made me nervous. We took him to a doctor and he said he had respiratory influenza. We stocked up on medicine and settled in for some serious isolation. That night his fever spiked to 105.1. I was terrified. Even though I have worked as a nurse in a pediatric hospital, I still felt helpless and frightened. I had to seriously fight the urge to rush him to a hospital. I had to keep telling myself that there was nothing they could do at this point. I had been vigilant with fluids so I knew he was not dehydrated and his breathing was adequate. He was not having seizures. It was hard to sit there and wait. After what seemed like hours his fever broke and I was able to breathe again.


Claire started to get sick on Saturday. She was miserable. She just wanted to be held and snuggled.
We had made plans earlier for my parents to come and spend conference weekend. They still wanted to come for which I was very grateful. My mom made her famous rolls which made us all feel better. Randy went Elk hunting with his dad over the weekend and came home Sunday night with a high fever and chills. He looked terrible. I was fine until this morning. I feel crummy with a fever.

Hope this all ends soon so Brad can go back to school and Randy and I won’t have to use up ALL our vacation time on sickness

12 comments:

Brad and Rochelle said...

I am sorry! Being sick is the worst, especially with this new flu. Hope you all get better soon

Jenn said...

Bummer, hope everybody feels better soon!

Brandon and Alexa Leishman said...

That's not fun at all... I hope we can stay clear of it, we haven't really been bad either (knock on wood) I'm kinda nervous for this winter... Who knows what it'll bring. I hope you all feel better soon!

The Hood's said...

Oh I am SO sorry! What a miserable thing for all of you! I hope that the air clears soon, and you're all up and running quickly! Good luck!

Beck said...

Oh no. Hoping you have a quick recovery!

Sara said...

I am sorry Jenny. If I was closer i would bring over a big pot of creamy chicken veggie soup. I hope it passes quickly

Todd and Melissa Titensor said...

I am sorry you guys are all sick. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Annette said...

Good luck - that sounds miserable!

Christy said...

That is not fun at all, Christy's had that several times and I know it's not fun to watch them being so miserable. Hope everyone gets better soon.

Trisha said...

Ewww...I am so sorry!

Marcy M Miller said...

Dang it. I just found out yesterday that the Smith's have the swine flu. Blaine came down with it Monday/Tuesday and the rest of the family got it. I hope you guys start feeling better.

katie said...

God Bless Dr. Shakula. We've been three times in the last week and I'm sure we'll be back soon. Hope you recover soon!