Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Month of Love

I have heard from several people, blogs, and random conversations that Valentines is a silly holiday. Who needs a set apart day to let someone know that you love them.

My attitude on the holiday... what is wrong with showing a little EXTRA love without having to justify it. What is wrong with being silly, sappy, and mushy for a change?? Sometimes I need a good reminder to show and tell MORE love and appreciation to my family. I am not saying I don’t love them all year round but it would be next to impossible to keep up a "Valentines" pace all year long.

Claire and I made Valentine cupcakes to take to Randy's work. Then when Brad got home we made rice crispy treats to pass out to their friends in the neighborhood. It was fun to watch them ring the doorbell and shout out "Happy ValentiMes Day!!"




Kamie and Tim to visit for the weekend. Kamie and I made dinner for the boys. It was nice to put the kids to bed and enjoy a nice dinner with NO plastic IKEA cups or plates. And no whining. Brad could sense that we were having a party after bedtime and he was not very happy about the situation. I have memories of my parents cooking nice dinners after bedtime. Doesn't every child go through that?? I shouldn't feel bad right???

Yup we ate ALL that cow. Every last bite!!!

Randy had to have the side dishes after he ate his monster steak. It filled his whole plate.

Tim and Kam

I LOVE this man.

For desert we had chocolate fondue. There is something about dipping stuff in chocolate that makes anything edible. I could eat anything as long as it is dipped in chocolate.


I saved the best part for last. On Valentines Day Randy gave me a letter that meant the world to me. It was so sincere and seriously the best gift he could ever give. He also gave me a gift card to Old Navy so I could get some new clothes. The gift card was a great bonus but nothing compared to the letter. The reason I share this here in this blog is I hope one day my little Bradly will stumble across my writing and realize how powerful a letter can be. I know the saying is Actions speak louder than words. Believe me Randy's actions speak really loud. I have not doubt that he loves me just by how hard he works and how much he does for me and the family. However sometimes it is nice to hear the words. I think I am safe in saying that most women like be acknowledged and appreciated. It brought me to tears to hear Randy's voice pouring out of the letter. It gave me new energy to be a better mother and wife. Sometimes I go along thinking all my efforts go unnoticed. I feel energized, appreciated and loved. Thank you Randy!! Best gift EVER.

7 comments:

Brad and Rochelle said...

I like your mind set for Valentine's Day. We have never been too big on it. But I think I might change my mind and at least let Brad know just a little bit more. That is so sweet of Randy to just write a letter. Those are some of my favorite gifts to get. I love going back and reading letters when you have a particularly hard and stressful day. I think we all need uplifting things like that to remind us of how great we are. You are amazing and I am so glad that I am related to you! I was so glad to get to spend a little time at Lex"s wedding with you! We miss you guys and definitely need to do something soon!

Annie said...

i love it! and i love you:) it is so nice to know that there really are great husbands and dads out there. we are lucky girls!!!

katie said...

Mike wrote me a letter once when we were dating telling me that he knew we were going to get married and why. I still have it and love it.

Randy is a great guy!

The Reel Fisch Story said...

Precious:) And I love the cupcakes the hearts are adorable!

amy said...

i love that randy wrote you a letter. how romantic!!

Brandon and Alexa Leishman said...

How sweet of a hubby do you have?!?! I love that! I was so glad to see you guys at my wedding.. I'm so glad you guys got to come to the temple!!

ps. I like in the picture with tim and kami.. where randy is in the background getting some water.. It looks like he's reaching somewhere.... ;)

Trisha said...

Good call on the Valentine's thing...it should be embraced :) My kids LOVED their rice crispies and I was dying to steal them!