Saturday, December 20, 2008

This is why God made Grandmas



From a mother’s perspective this picture just looks like a TON of extra work. Brad is constantly asking to help in the kitchen. Usually for the sake of time and energy I say no. Thank goodness he has a bunch of Grandmas that let him get dirty, eat lots of sugar and be crazy once in a while.

When I was young my Grandma let me dress in whatever I felt like, eat whatever I wanted and stay up late until I fell asleep in her arms. We all need to be around our grandmas. Don’t get me wrong nothing replaces mommy… but mommies just get tired sometimes, so it is nice to have a rejuvenated soul to let kids be kids.

I adore my grandma. Last night I sat next to her in the emergency room and held her soft frail scared hand. We cried as we related stories and memories. It has been incredibly difficult for me to observe her aging process. My grandpa is quite ill as well. I help him twice a week with his bath and I cherish the time with him. He has always made me feel special and loved. It does my heart good when he sings a song that he can’t remember the words to so he just starts humming or whistling the tune. I love to hear him talk about my grandma and how much he loves her. I wish I could freeze or rewind time. I feel so blessed to be the oldest granddaughter. I had to opportunity to know my grandparents when they were so young.

What would the world become without Grandparents???

9 comments:

The Hood's said...

You're so sweet! I know your grandparents feel as blessed to have you as you do them!

Rachel said...

That was sweet. I know exactly how you feel, both about messy kitchens :) and helping grandparents. You said it just perfectly.

Jenn said...

Grandmas are the best! I hope everything is ok with your grandma.

natalie spratling said...

Grandparents are parents who have relaxed. I am so grateful we have them. Your thoughts about your dear grandparents brought back so many fond memories. All of our grandparents have passed away and I so miss them. Life is not the same without them. Your grandparents are so blessed to have you as their "grand" daughter. I am sorry to hear they are going to this rough time in their life, sometime old age is not kind.

Brad and Rochelle said...

I totally agree. I'm sorry to see Grandma and Grandpa Reimann getting so ill. Even though I have only known them a few years it is sad to see, and it makes Brad so sad too. I hope things get better for them. They both are so sweet and couldn't stand to live without the other. I'm glad your able to help them out. We love you Jenny!

Jes said...

I agree, grandparents are the best! Every child should be so lucky to have at least one. Your Grandma and Grandpa Reimann are wonderful, why were you in the ER? Is everything OK?

Our Family said...

Sorry to hear things are still pretty rough around there. Mine are all doing the same thing as well. But thinking back to all the great things they did for me, they deserve a break from it! Grandparents truly are something else!

Taren said...

I love my grandparents as well. It is really hard for me to watch them get old. My kids don't get to do all that fun stuff with their grandmas. Your kids are very lucky.

Kurt and Katie Rowley said...

I am sure that Myrna is the GREATEST grandma...she is the GREATEST...period! I remember cooking stuff with her when we were just hanging out with her son! I'll bet your kids LOVE her!