Friday, February 13, 2009

Flash Back Friday

So this is not a flash back picture…but a flashback memory. Growing up my mom ALWAYS got up early to make us a hot breakfast. My mother was amazing. To this day I still LOVE a hot breakfast. I have really tried to do the same for my children. (PLEASE don’t mistake me for my mother… We eat cold cereal about 50% of the time…with a piece of buttery toast…and sometimes jam) Brad’s favorite breakfast is eggs and waffles. If it were up him we would have it for breakfast lunch and dinner. Randy’s favorite is egg burritos. As you can see we eat a LOT of eggs. Anyway, I was getting so bored with the same thing every morning so I decided to branch out a bit and make one of my favorites growing up.



I LOVE hot cereal. Cream of Wheat…talk about nostalgia!! My favorite part is the melted brown sugar. I love how it melts then gets a little crispy. I even stole some of Claire’s whole milk to pour around the cereal moat. I was so excited.

My little family didn’t share my same enthusiasm. Brad loved the first few bites. The brown sugar topping was gone within a minute and he quickly informed me that he didn’t like the white part. Randy has never liked hot cereal so he pushed it around with his spoon and pretended to eat it for Brads sake and because I was giving him the “don’t refuse food in front of your kids” stink eye.



Claire joined me in my nostalgia. It must have reminded her of her old rice cereal from infantcy. She ate it up… With a smile…it warmed my heart…just like the creamy wheat. I think Claire and I will have it every Thursday. The boys can have Captain Crunch.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

My favorite, too! Wow, work late and still get up early?? Isn't being a Mom so much fun?? ;) I need to do warm cereal more often, too. Thanks for the motivation!!

Kim said...

I love Cream of Wheat. We grew up on that too. I prefer plain white sugar and a little bit of milk. Yum. I might just go make some right now.

Simi B. Cazeau said...

Ummm!! Cream of Wheat with tonz of sugar is my favorite. Claire is getting so big!

Taren said...

Hot cereal is my fav as well. My kids don't love it either but my husband does. It used to be considered the poor man's cereal and now it soooo expensive.