Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Won't you take me to Funky Town

I have been in a blog funk lately. Maybe it is the crappy weather or the sudden move… I am really not sure why.

It needs to end because it makes me feel crummy when I don’t record things that make me smile, feel happy, grimace, laugh or contribute to my evolving gray hair and wrinkles.

Things that make me smile:

-On Saturday we wanted to take the kids somewhere fun. They have been cooped up lately. We were going to take them to the Museum to see the dino bones but didn’t want to drive that far. The closest next best thing was Cabellas. That place is its own museum. Too bad we didn’t bring our swim suits. Claire wanted to dive in and snorkel with the trout. We fed the fish, looked at some stuffed road kill and went to the shooting gallery. We felt very cultured and refined as we departed. And saved some $$cash$$.







-I went to dinner with my 2 best friends Jes and Katie from good old Hillcrest High. It was fun to reminisce about people we thought were great, weird, snobby, smelly….you get the picture. Thanks to blogs, facebook, and the occasional run in, we gave each other the low down on old acquaintances.

-Claire has just started saying a few words besides the constant babbling. She can successfully say Jesus, shoes, and Ba Ba Bamba (from the catchy Latin song LaBamba) She even dances while saying it.

Things that make me laugh:

-Brad told me in the car yesterday that I was the best chef. (I didn’t know he knew that word) I replied “Oh ya, what do you like that mommy makes?”
His reply “Sandwiches, cereal and eggs”
That’s right… I make a big impression with my gourmet cooking. He could have at least mentioned my spaghettios. I can open a wicked can of those.

Things that make me feel happy:

-We went to the Draper Temple open house last week. Randy’s dad was an usher so he got us in the secret back way with no lines. It was really nice. At the end of the tour we asked Brad what his favorite part of the temple was and he said it was the big tent outside. It must have been the craftsmanship of the poles or maybe it was the rope that tied it down…I am not sure but it made a big impression on Brad.



-The last few times I have sorted laundry, Claire thinks it is dress up time. She loves to drape my pants around her neck and cover herself in the finest of cotton. I really need to buy this girl some dress ups.



Things that make me grimace or contribute to evolving gray hair and wrinkles:

-Claire has had a few strangles of hair in the back by her neck left over from infancy. I have been debating whether or not to cut them. I have pulled out scissors a couple of times and then chickened out. I just wanted the back of her hair to be even. I finally rallied all my courage and trimmed those 2 or 3 little hairs. I should have done this months ago. It looks so much better. (I just hope the female mullet doesn’t come back into style or I will feel bad I took it away from her.) Don’t worry… I the scissors are in the drawer for good. Her next haircut I will pay a professional. I don’t think I dare attempt that again.



-Since moving so far away we decided to pull Brad out of his pre-school in upscale Sandy. I just couldn’t justify commuting that far 3 times a week. He has had 1 ½ years of pre-school and I consider him Kindergarten ready. We have been working at home with him. He practices letters and cutting and gluing an all that Kindergartenish stuff. We have also found some pretty good websites that he can play letter and math games. Any suggestion would be great. I am new to this home-school stuff. Any encouragement is welcome. I still get guilty tinges for taking him out of pre-school early.








-For the last few weeks Randy and I have been house hunting on our day off. This paragraph belongs in all of the categories. It is such a roller coaster of emotions. It is exciting, exhausting, fun and frustrating. There are a lot of houses on the market that haven't sold and each one has some kind of flaw that I don't like. Since I have a few months to shop I feel I have the right to be a bit picky. There doesn't seem to be any new houses entering the market because people don't want to sell their house right now. The hunt continues while I continue to collect more gray hairs.

Things I am ashamed to admit:

I have an eating disorder and a drinking problem.




AHHH that feels so much better. I promise to be a better more consistent poster and photographer. Sorry about some of the blurry pics. I took most of them with my phone.

7 comments:

Andrea Campbell said...

It's good to see you are alive and well! I think you're doing a great job with Brad! I didn't see any real problem with Claire's hair...is it worse than in the picture? Anyway, we miss you guys! I made tacos for dinner. There are always memories involved with that dinner!!!

The Hood's said...

Thanks for the update! You ALWAYS bring a smile to my face for so many reasons Jenny! I miss seeing you! Maybe we can get together and you can give me your secrets on those mean spaghettios!
There is no shame in using Cabela's for entertainment! We do it frequently! Good luck with the house hunting. You deserve to be picky- you've waited long enough for it!

Jenny said...

Andrea...that picture was after I cut her hair. It used to have a few random long clumps of hair in the back.

Rachel said...

Awesome! Claire's hair looks GREAT! Good luck with house-hunting. BE pickey. :)

Tori said...

Have you looked at starfall.com? I play that all the time with Chloe, it helps her recognize letters and their sounds, and even helps starting to recognize a few words. Also, I must say I was shocked to hear that Brad said you were an amazing chef.... When we were driving around looking at houses we were talking about different jobs people have (mommy is a nurse...) and I said, "You should tell your mom she is a great chef." He asked me what a chef was and that was the end of the conversation. I CANNOT believe that he remembered that. It is crazy how much kids listen to and remember what we say. :)

natalie spratling said...

oh Jenny, you make me laugh. I love reading your blog. It makes me feel a little more connected to your fam since I am more than 500+ miles away. Have a fabulous day.

Taren said...

Clair's hair is very cute. We do the co-op preschool and I find a ton of stuff if I google pre-school. I have a few favorite websites but they are all very similar. Goodluck with that.