Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Delivery

We still didn’t know what the sex of the baby was and we had not come to a decision on a name…boy or girl. When the anesthesiologist brought me to the Operating Room all the nurses were so excited. They kept telling me that they loved it when the sex was a surprise. They said it was like Christmas. I on the other hand was shaking like a leaf. I was terrified. Dr. Daines hooked me up to the monitor and my pressure was so high. I couldn’t keep my eyes off the monitor. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t a nurse …ignorance is bliss. They let Randy come into the room while he gave me an epidural. Randy sat in front of me. I was so glad he was there. Once the epidural was in I could feel my pressure drop. I remember looking at the monitor again and seeing 65/22…then I felt myself blacking out. I remember grabbing Randy’s hand so tight. The next thing I remember is losing my hearing. Everything sounded muffled and I couldn’t understand any of the questions people were asking me. Randy said he has never seen a doctor working so fast. He said Dr. Daines pushed several medications into my IV. It seemed to pass quickly and I tried to just focus on Randy sitting next to me. Every noise in the room bothered me. My head was pounding and I was sick to my stomach.

The next thing I knew Randy was beaming looking at me telling me that we had a BOY!!! Everything bothering me at that moment vanished. A tear rolled down my cheek as I looked at my sweet baby boy. I could see him for brief moments while the Pediatrician and nurses crowded around him. They knew that he needed help to breathe. I took a big breath of relief and told Randy it was okay to leave my side and be with our son. The nurse asked what his name was and Randy and I looked at each other. We were not sure. So for the first day of his life he was...

Fischer Boy
5lbs 6 ounces
18 inches
34 weeks









The nurses wrapped him up and brought him to me so I could give him a kiss before they took him to the Newborn Intensive Care Unit. I was instantly in love. I felt a deep completeness to my family. I was so glad he was here and safe.

I went to the Recovery Room and Randy followed our baby to the NICU. Dr. Blackett came to recovery and told me they needed to start me on Magnesium Sulfate for 24 hours because they were worried I was going to have a seizure. Magnesium Sulfate has yucky side effects. I was on it when I had Brad so I knew what to expect. I must have forgotten how yucky they really were... it had been a while.

1 comment:

Marcy M Miller said...

I'm so happy he is doing well!!! That you are doing well now too! He is such a doll.