Saturday, October 22, 2011

My pregnancy

On August 30th Dr. Blackett my OB said I needed to go on bed rest AGAIN!!! I had high blood pressure and my urine protein level was high. I know I shouldn’t have been shocked by this news, but deep down I was hoping I was going to make it to term without any problems. I called my mom in a panic knowing I couldn’t do this alone. I still had 12 weeks until my due date and needed a lot of help. She packed up her things and moved into our spare bedroom.

I am not going to lie…this time bed rest was especially hard. I had 2 kids this time both starving for attention I couldn’t give, a husband with a full time job and finishing up graduate school. I had to depend fully on others to help me. I felt guilty watching my mom do all the housework, cooking, laundry, and attending to my kid’s needs. I also felt guilty every time I got up or out of bed worried I was going to jeopardize the pregnancy. My mom was amazing the way she took care of our family without complaint, and dealt with my emotional rollercoasters. Randy was also amazing jumping in where he could and being a great father, and husband. All my wonderful neighbors helped with babysitting Claire as my mom and I visited the Doctor’s office several times a week for ultra sounds, fetal non stress tests, blood work, and Doctor Checkups.

Dr. Blackett changed my C-section from 11-11-11 to 10-25-11. We all crossed our fingers that I would make it that far. The baby looked great the whole time…growing on schedule and a great sounding heart. I on the other hand over the next few weeks progressively got worse. Five weeks into bed rest my protein levels were increasing, I had a terrible headache and my blood pressure was slowly creeping up. I also was having regular contractions. My doctor gave me medication to stop the contractions but told me that we might have to take the baby early if things progressed any further. My headache worsened over the next few days. On 10-06-11 I woke Randy in the night to tell him I needed to go to the hospital. My headache was so severe I could barely concentrate and I was having visual disturbance where I felt like I was having tunnel vision.

When we arrived at the hospital the doctor on call came to see us. He ordered a bunch of repeat tests and told us to prepare mentally to deliver the baby that day. When Dr. Blackett arrived at 8:00am she gave us the same news. We were going to have the baby. I was nervous and scared. Randy was pacing all over the room. We were not quite prepared. We had been down this road before with our son Bradley. We knew the challenge that lay before us. Randy gave me a beautiful blessing that really helped calm my nerves. I knew that even though this was going to be a challenge everything was in the Lord’s hands.

No comments: