Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Help me PLEASE!!!!!!!

I have been stewing over a dilemma for a while now and have decided to throw it out there for all of you…sort of pooling my resources if you will.

How much should I pay a babysitter???

I know it is sort of open ended depending upon number of children, degree of behavior, feeding, getting ready for bed….etc

Anyway, I hire girls in my ward all of the time. Every time I ask them how much they charge I get the deer in the headlights look, big shrug of the shoulders, and a response like “oh, whatever you feel” So then I pay them and after they leave I freak out. It is such an awkward moment to pay them their nightly wage. I drive home and wrestle with myself over the amount. I don’t want them to tell their friends the next day…”Oh those Fischers are so cheap, that was like totally not worth it!!!”
It is so frustrating. When I babysat 15 years ago it was $2 an hour flat. It was so easy. I certainly know times have changed and factoring inflation, cost of living , yada yada yada. I am sure it has sky-rocketed. I don’t want to be cheap, but I don’t want to spend a fortune for a babysitter either.

So…how much?

Any input or suggestion would be appreciated.


12 comments:

lizzie said...

i am no help. i am sure it is much more expensive out here anyway. good luck.

Eric Reimann said...

i say search the waters find a good one and pay well to keep them. i think. somewere between 1.50 to 2.00 hr per kid.

katie said...

I'm cheap too Jenny. I usually only pay a dollar an hour per kid. So it's $4 an hour for us. We almost ALWAYS have to stop at 7-11 to get cash to pay them so Mike always gets them a candy bar or pack of gum to go with it. Apparently it works. They always talk about getting candy from us.
I have two really good babysitters here and I always give them extra. They bathe my kids, put them to bed, and my house is always spotless. My kids love it when they come.
Come move by me......Erin will be babysitting in a few short years.

Sara said...

I have only had christina and I always paid her 5 an hour since I had 2 kids and she was 18 yrs old. I don't know what to pay for younger girls. I am still trying to get to know the y.w. in my ward since I have only been 2 times in the last 2 years

Tori said...

Well I know a really cheap babysitter. His name is Matt. But seriously, younger girls, especially younger than 16 are just happy to be getting paid. I think you are being way to hard on yourself! I hate to disagree with everyone here, but I definitely would say at least 5 an hour, no matter how many kids or other circumstances. To a teenager, they want to feel like they are rewarded for their time, because ultimately their time is more important to them than anything else.

Tori said...

MATT:
"if the kids are already in bed or the babysitter doesn't have to do anything with the kids, you can definitely pay them less. Same goes for younger babysitters."

Andrea Campbell said...

I usually do $5 an hour. We've got three though so you could probably go less. I babysat a ton growing up and I was just grateful for any cash!

Our Family said...

My sister-in-law is like the queen babysitter and she said 2.50 per hour per kid. I think that's fair, I don't know how things have changed since I haven't babysat for a long time, and if I do it's for family so we don't really charge for that. But it's pretty true that you're just excited to get paid.

Annie said...

sorry, dan watches himself when i'm not home!

Jes said...

I've heard that this is the going babysitting rate formula... $1/hour + $1/kid + $1. It sounds complicated but it seems to work?! (just use family, they are cheaper or free!)

Kim said...

I pay $5/hour for my 2 kids, especially if the babysitter is a YW. They are just happy to have any money.

mickey said...

I'm with Katie. I'm cheap too. Well, I think the girls are happy with us they've never said no, infact they ask when they can babysit again. Don't be afraid, do what you can, reasonably. We all make different amounts of money and can do only what we can. I try to keep in mind that if you have girls that truly love your kids, they'll keep coming back.

Your kids are adorable, I can see the YW hoping you'll call.