Friday, June 12, 2009

Deutschland Chapter IV

Monday May 17th

Romantic Road- This is where most of the Medieval Villages castles and countryside still remain in Germany.


Wurtzburg – We of course ate breakfast in a Bakery. This particular bakery was my favorite the entire trip. I had a croissant with cream cheese ham and some other kind of cheese melted on the top. The rest of the trip I searched for a replica of the pastry but could never find one. I will FOREVER crave that particular pastry.
We hiked up to the Wurtzburg castle. The walk was incredible. We weaved in and out of grape vines and gardens. The stone work was gorgeous. Once at the top we could see the entire city.

During WWII 90% of the city was destroyed. The city was rebuilt to its original structure by women, because most of the men had been killed or were POW. I must say they did a pretty dang good job.

The bridge over the Main River was beautiful. It was lined with huge statues. It was quite surreal. We then walked through the Palace gardens and cathedral.











Our next stop was Kitzingen. We saw the crooked tower. I guess they used wine instead of water in the mortar which caused it to lean. Town legend says Vlad Dracula’s heart is contained in the gold ball on the top of the tower. If he ever tries to retrieve it, the gold post will fall and pierce his heart. We then walked across the street to Dracula’s grave site. I loved the graves in Germany. Each plot has a small garden in front of the headstone. They are so much more beautiful than in America. This is also where I tried my first European ice-cream. It was so good. After that I had at least 2-3 cones a day. I have had gelato in America but it was still way better there. We then found a little café in the fuss and had schnitzel for lunch.





Rothenburg- This was my favorite city on the Romantic Road. The entire city is surrounded by a giant wall. This was one of the few cities that was not completely destroyed during the war. We were able to walk on the rampart along the wall. It was kind of scary to walk on because it was high and REALLY uneven.
In the evening we took a night watchman tour. He described the city in medieval times and walked us around the city at dusk. The cityscape was incredible. I would take a picture and get so frustrated because I could not do it justice. It was 100x more beautiful than the picture.



(All of the Germans knew we were American because of Randy's big white shoes and baseball cap. They were always so surprised to hear him speak German.)





9 comments:

annie said...

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! i love the dracula's heart thing. so many places in europe have their claim to fame! its kind of funny to me.

natalie spratling said...

oh, i have to go there. It is beautifulf, your pictures were amazing. If I never make it to Germany I'll at least have your blog to return to over and over again

Jenn said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!

Kim said...

What a wonderful experience. Read "The Historian' it's about Vlad Dracula.

Anonymous said...

i am so jealouse, jenny..I alos LOVE Dracula..what a fun idea of his heart still around..or at least placed somewhere special! Loce the pictures. Rhonda

Beck said...

Does Randy do tours?

Seriously, now I've added Germany to one of the places I want to see before I die.

Chris and Heather said...

Looks like you guys had an awesome trip. I glad that you were able to go.

Brandon and Alexa Leishman said...

Oh my heck... it's been so long since i've even been on here I had to up date myself!! Holy cow... I'm soooooooooo JEALOUS! I want to go there... i still need to hear randy speak german! Did he retain most of it? And your kids are so stinkin cute! I can't believe brad is already in the sports and playing! He really is #1! :] **oh and I meant to send you an announcement, but i don't have your address. My mom and I would like your address, you can either email it to me or text it to me. (volcombabe18@hotmail.com) and you have my number! :]

Anonymous said...

hey Germany looks pretty sweet but if you ever want to see naked hatian guys riding on donkeys you have to come to the Dominican Republic.

Elder Thorup