Sunday, June 7, 2009

Germany Chapter II

Saturday May 16th

I woke up early on Saturday morning to the sound of a thousand birds. I sat in the window in awe. It was still sprinkling and the air was so fresh. I was ready to go and explore, however it was hard to get going because I was addicted to the intoxicating aroma of the air. Randy told me that when he would go and knock doors as a missionary all of the old ladies would lean out of their windows and stare at the missionaries. I think he was mistaken. I don’t think they were ogling at the missionaries they couldn’t help but sit in their windows. After leaning out the window for quite some time I jumped in the shower. Everything was so different; all the knobs, fixtures, and lights. It took me a minute to figure out how to flush the toilet.

On the way out we stopped at a bakery and I indulged in a tasty strudel, and then drove to Fulda. We walked around the fuss for a while and Randy showed me one of the palaces. We could climb up to a tower and over look the entire city. It was stunning. After that we went into the Fulda Dom(cathedral). I have never been inside a cathedral before and was completely shocked at how huge it was. The ceilings were so high. We walked around the palace gardens. There were beautiful gardens everywhere. Everything about Germany is manicured. Even the open space and forest are manicured. One of my favorite things were the perfect little fields of flowers. The flowers were in bloom and the yellow field was so bright I had to make Randy pull over to take a picture.








Later in the afternoon we caught up with the Avanesians a member family from Randy’s mission. They invited us over to have dinner. They are from Armenia so she made us Armenian food. It was so good. I loved the meat with the flat bread. The two older girls Ani and Rima remembered Randy and were so excited to see him. They were adorable. They spoke English too so it helped me a lot. We ate dinner played games and then watched Euro Vision. (Europe’s version of American Idol.) Of course we were rooting for the Armenian singers. We stayed until about Midnight laughing talking and catching up. When we were about to leave we exchanged emails and the girls asked Randy about his Facebook account. They about died when they found out he didn’t have one. They gave him a really hard time about that. The first thing Randy did when he got home was open a Facebook account. It made me laugh. I think Randy and I are the last people on the planet to get an account. I will miss this family dearly. They were so loving and welcoming. I can see why Randy was so close to them on his mission. I hope to see them again soon.






We spent the night in Fulda. I slept so good that night. Good thing too because Sunday was going to be another busy day.

7 comments:

Andrea Campbell said...

That's great that you guys were able to see people from his mission. Kyle would love to go back to his. Someday we'll go I'm sure.

The Hood's said...

Those pictures are beautiful! I want to visit Germany so bad. My dad went with the military when I was a kid, and he loved it. I loved all of the souvenirs and pictures that he took. You're pictures are even more stunning and make me want to go.
How nice that you were able to connect with a family. Gary had a couple of families that he was really close with in his mission. I'm sure it meant a lot to Randy to be able to see them again.
Can't wait for more pics! You're still just as beautiful as ever!

Aaron Lisa corbin Jacob and Bennet said...

it looks so pretty there. the next big trip you go on will have to be hawaii with me and aaron

Rachel said...

Wow, you've ensipred me to get back to my mission!! :) Thank you for sharing and I LOVE the pictures!! :)

Jenn said...

So beautiful! I need to add Germany to my list of places to visit.

Jes said...

All I can say is WOW and double WOW, it is so beautiful! I am so happy that you got to go there and meet some of Randy's mission families, that is awesome. I too have Germany on my list of places to travel someday... I am glad you are liking you new job, don't worry you will win them over and you won't be the new girl much longer. I miss not working with you a ton! It almost doesn't seem real....your pictures from you canyon by your house are really beautiful too. We will have to make a road trip up to visit you soon. I miss you a ton!

Annie said...

love the photos and stories!!! and YOU need to get a FB acct too!!!