Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Deutschland Chapter V

Tuesday May 19th

Dachau concentration camp memorial-

I am quite embarrassed to admit this but I have never given a concentration camp much thought. You will have to excuse my ignorance. This memorial hit me really hard. I know they teach this topic in school, but somehow I must have either blocked it out or just didn’t quite catch the magnitude of the holocaust.
Some of the things that struck me:
The camps were around for over 10 years. I didn’t realize how long they existed.
The camps were discovered and closed just over 50 years ago. It NEVER registered that the holocaust was so fresh in our history. I guess in my puny thought process, High School history was always hundreds of years ago. Nothing that I could relate to.



When you walk into the camp the front gate says “Arbeit Macht Frei” (work makes freedom) Just walking through the gates gave me an uneasy feeling. The spirit there was intense and sobering.

Most of the camp was torn down or removed but they spared the main admitting building and turned it into a museum. Randy and I read and walked in silence reading stories and prisoner accounts. It was completely sobering.

I will never forget the feeling.

Outside the museum several memorial buildings were built. The church bells were beautiful. Again we sat in silence.


Just outside the camp were the gas chamber and the crematory. Near the end of the war coal was sparse and money nonexistent. They could no longer burn bodies so mass graves line the property.




I can’t even begin to comprehend the relief of the liberation.

What an EYE OPENING experience for me…

...moving on to something a little lighter...

It was my birthday!!! I am pretty sure this was my first and hopefully not my last time celebrating my birthday in Europe.


To celebrate we drove to Munich. This was a bustling city, not to mention HUGE!!! I got nervous when Randy was not within touching distance. There were a lot of people. We walked to the center of town to see the famous coo coo clock tower. It was impressive. We went shopping and of course found more ice cream.


For dinner we took a picture in front of the famous Hofbrauhaus restaurant. A local told us the food was much better across the street. We quickly took a picture then ran like traitors to the competition. My birthday dinner was FABULOUS!!! Wienerschnitzel and spatzle . I could eat it for every meal. The only bad thing about Germany is you can’t order water at a restaurant. You must order a beverage. It costs at least $7 for a sparkling apple juice or soda. Beer is dirt cheap. No wonder Germans drink a ton of beer.

12 comments:

Steven and Kari said...

I have always wanted to go to some of the concentration camps. Maybe I like to be depressed but I have also been intreged by the history and fate of the poor jewish and other germans who suffered that terrible fate. I am glad that your birthday ended on a happy note.

Salty Gal said...

What a neat and humbling experience...

Happy Birthday way late i'm sure :)

Rachel said...

I went to the Haloucost Museum in D.C. Very humbling and emotional. I can't imagine seeing the real thing, or what's left. Neat. As for spatzle, I know how you feel :)

Darcie said...

Your trip sounds great and educational. I don't know much about the holocast either.
Your kids are so cute, I bet it was hard to be gone from them.

The Hood's said...

I too have not given enough thought to what those poor people went through. I think because it didn't happen in our country, maybe we don't pay it enough attention. What a neat experience for you.... you will never forget those feelings!
The camping trip looks so fun! We are going in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait! How fun you got to see your family! Kari told me you were coming, but I decided not to bug you since you were coming to see family! I did get your cell number though!
Have a great day!

Kierdie Bug said...

That looks like it was so much fun! I am so glad I didn't live back then with the gas chambers and all I didn't excpect them to look like that I thought that they would look like one big bathroom ha ha I guess that is why I wasn't born back then cause maybe that is what there showers looked like and thats why I wasn't born Jewish I feel so bad for them but hey Happy Birthday!!! :]

katie said...

Great pictures Jenny. Amazing that it was all less than 50 years ago.

Annie said...

didn't you and i go to the museum in d.c.? remember the train car where they would stuff over 100 people in? what an experience for you! i guess there aren't many words for it. a birthday in europe...how fun! thanks for the photos.

Jenny said...

ANNIE,
we did go to dc, but i was only
16. I think I was to young to comprehend it all. Plus is was just a museum and not the actual camp

natalie spratling said...

jenny, love all the photos...i'll have to enjoy it through your photos. Are you sure that is not a beer next to your plate...apple juice? Happy belated birthday day.

Keli said...

Jenny, I loved reading your blog. Your family is so sweet and what a neat experience you had in Europe. I can't wait to read more!!!

Brandon and Alexa Leishman said...

So i've had to read quite a bit... all these cute pictures of the family!! your your sweet grandma and grandpa are looking so good! hope all is well there. oh.... and about everyone knowing randy by his shoes, i think that's a miss understanding... It's just cause he has HUGE feet!! ha ha ha just kidding just kidding! Sorry randy! ;) it's not true!