Friday, March 27, 2009

Flash Back Friday- Frankfurt Germany

This is a picture of Randy street preaching in Frankfurt, Germany (2000). The missionaries used to climb up on crates and yell out to the crowds of people in the marketplaces. Ever since his return home he has been trying to go back and walk those beautiful streets. We have tried a couple of times to plan a trip to go, but something always comes up that prevents us from going.

Yesterday airline ticket prices plummeted. We found round trip tickets for only $400. So we took the big plunge and we are going back to Randy’s mission. He is so excited. We couldn’t pass up the prices. It won’t EVER be that low again so we decided to jump on it. I figure it is the perfect graduation present for him. We are going in May right after graduation and right before we move. I have barely been outside of Utah let alone traveling in Europe. If anyone has any great travel suggestions I would appreciate it. I don’t even know where to begin.
I do know that I need a passport...quick...really quick. We spent all day yesterday getting a new birth certificate for me. (my original is packed in storage) and applying for a Passport. The only place that lets you get a passport without an appointment is Tooele County. I walked all over the county building looking for my friend Annie(She works there). I couldn't find her and people were looking at me strangely for peeping around every corner. I'll have to go back and search for her again. The people in small towns are really nice. Every person I talked to was very helpful and courteous. I can't wait to move to a small town.

PS- Still waiting on the lender to be approved for our home loan. I HATE the wait. Crunch time!!! We close in 1 1/2 weeks.

19 comments:

Brad and Rochelle said...

That is so awesome! I hope everything works out well with the house and the trip! I would love to go visit anywhere in Europe.

Kim said...

Yes, get that passport quick..maybe even pay the extra fee to have it expedited. What a great trip!

The Hood's said...

Oh I am so excited for you guys! What a fun thing to look forward to. I have no advice since I've never been there, so maybe when I go, I'll be asking you for advice!
Good luck waiting for the house, what a pain!

Tiffany said...

Congratulations! How exciting!!!

Annie said...

holy crap take me with you!!! unfortunately i don't work for the county. you came all the way out and didn't even call me! i forgive you:) i'm super jealous though! did you go through a travel agent??

Beck said...

Maybe this will help:

http://travelinoma.blogspot.com/2009/01/europe-on-shoestring.html

It's a lady who's traveled all over the world and she gives some tips in this post about how to travel in Europe! Hope it helps!

And be sure to ENJOY that trip - I am so excited for you!

Brandon and Alexa Leishman said...

I'M SOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!! That's my dream.. to go to Europe! I hope you guys have fun! Tell Randy hi for me! Take lots and lots of pictures so you you can show me!!!! I'm so excited for you guys!

Jes said...

WOW, I am so excited for you and totally jealous! Are you taking the kiddos? If you are then good luck, and if you aren't then O'Happy Day a vacation!

Look cute for your passport picture, they last for 10 years!

Rachel said...

I wish I had a picture of me street-preaching in Switzerland. That is so AWESOME you guys are going there! I still haven't been back and it's been 10 years! Sheesh! How fun!!

Steven and Kari said...

I am so excited for you!!! i can't wait to see pictures and hear your stories...

Simi B. Cazeau said...

Nice!! You'll have fun Jen! I wish I still work at the airlines and we would go with. My friend Mario is going through the same thing with the home in Syracuse. Hope it works out for you guys!

Taren said...

Make sure you try a Doner Kabob. They are soooooo yummy. I can't tell you how jealous I am. We would love to go,but it would be too hard to find someone to watch our kids for a couple of weeks. Not to mention, I would have a hard time being away from my kids that long. I hope you love it. I'm sure he will take you to Fulda. It is so beautiful there. Just thinking about it brings back so many memories. Have fun!

Heather Mortensen said...

I hope you have a blast. Chris and I loved visiting Switzerland. We would love to go again sometime.

Jenn said...

That sounds like such an amazing trip! Germany is on my list. Good luck with the house!

katie said...

My suggestion...take Annie with you. She pretty much knows everything about traveling and she can get bossy. Congrats!

natalie spratling said...

I am so excited for you guys - Germany! have a fabulous trip. I can't believe you found a ticket for $400 that's how much a trip from Billings to SLC costs - go figure. Good luck with the house too.

amy said...

You two will have a blast in Germany! What an awesome opportunity. Randy will show you around - I know that country has a special place in his heart as it does mine. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

Hillary said...

Hey jenny! I am glad you found our little blog. I can't believe how big your kids are getting. Have so much fun on your trip. It's about time you guys get to go visit!

Kierdie Bug said...

I can't believe that your going to Europe with out me! haha just kidding! I'm so excited for you guys!